Wednesday, February 3, 2010

B-day Countdown Clock

I think this is universal to moms everywhere, but the only way to measure time as far as Little Man is concerned is 'How many more night do I have to sleep until......?"

We used this to great effect when Oma and Vivi came to visit this last summer, but then it was with the visual help of a paper chain - we took one chain link away each night before bed, and then he could count the links left. It's amazing to me that in the 7 months or so since, his countdowns are now more or less in his head. I have to set the base line number (90, or 40 or whatever) and then he pretty much keeps track from there, and will then tell me every night after ' did you know there are only so many more nights till..........'

He gets occasionally caught up when he's been 3 or 4 nights with his dad, and hasn't done the countdown in the in-between days, so we'll have to reset the count.....but overall, he's pretty spot on, and understand the concept that the closer something is, the less nights there are till it happens. I bring this all up because the countdown we are in the middle of now is '29-more-nights-till-the big-5-and -31-till-the-party-countdown.

So, in that spirit, and since Kevin lately has taken to asking if he can see 'his pictures on mommy's computer that are for Oma' (also known as 'the blog'), here is his very own Birthday Countdown Clock:


Birthday-Countdowns

2 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

I know I'm not a little boy anxious for my birthday to get here - but I am loving the paper chain idea! I mean I can really see myself doing that to help countdown to my upcoming vacations! If I do, I'll be sure to post a picture for ya!
~RR

Holly said...

What a great idea. We'll have to try the links plan. But Robbie's already asking how long til Christmas and his next birthday so I think perhaps a calendar is in order.