Friday, March 11, 2011

Birthday Boy - Party Time!

Kev's views on Birthdays are very clear - they are fun, should be counted down to in 'sleeps' long before mom is ready to think about party's and gifts (did we not just have Christmas?!)and are a thing of joy and much discussion in the weeks leading up to the main event.

2011-03-04 Kev's Birthday 004



Mom's views are a little more ambivalent...I know it's not supposed to cost much to do a kids' party, but it always costs more than I think at the onset...in terms of time, money and effort. It's these times I feel like single momness (very technical word, I know) pretty much kicks my behind. It's also when the juggling act I somehow always feel between being a mom and full time employee (then throw in party planner)leaves me feeling pretty stretched.

2011-03-04 Kev's Birthday 003



All this is to say that somehow I got talked into doing a party this year not at a venue like the last years (Bowling, play castle, community building) but at home. My Home. For eight 5&6 year olds.

2011-03-03 Birthday Decorations 002

I couldn't resist Kev, who due to my schedule has the one of the least number of playdates in his class, and almost never where kids come to us - Kev always goes there. So how could I refuse when I could in effect get 8 playdates in fell swoop and earn some points with little man?

So, we agreed on a theme (spongebob) and a date (his B-Day which was on a Friday when school ends at noon) the guest list and the games.

2011-03-04 Kev's Birthday 001



When the big day came, I knew I couldn´t do this on my own.....I needed backup, and Richard agreed to take a half day free to be on hand to help me keep order. He was also the pinata hanger, photographer and drew the dreaded ´keep mom sane´ duty.

We had lunch, played a spongebob variant of Pin the Tail on the Donkey (involving stickers of jellyfish and trying to get them closest to spongebob´s net), twister, beat the heck out of a spongebob pinata, opened gifts,

2011-03-04 Kev's Birthday 020


2011-03-04 Kev's Birthday 019

ate Spongebob cake,

2011-03-04 Kev's Birthday 015

played bingo, painted sea themed sun catchers, and signed a spongebob t-shirt. It was a full afternoon!

Everyone went home happy, and Little Man had a great birthday Party

2011-03-08 Class Party 001

....and a great class party, and a great party at daycare.....

2011-03-06 Birthday Treats 001

almost a whole week's worth of celebrations have left mom very happy that b-days come but once a year!

2011-03-08 Class Party 008

2 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

It looks like you put together a very cool, fun party!

Seriously - didn't he just have a birthday?? Ah kids, they grow so fast! ;)

Sharon Fels said...

thank you for the compliment! I also felt like this year - from 5 to 6 - flew by faster any year since his first. He´s such a total little person now, so grown up it amazes me sometimes.